Click images for larger size.
A workshop presented at 2019 Bush Traditions Gathering, Yass, October 2019 by Sandra Nixon.
Most songs use the page from the original source, but some songs were retyped, & several contained typos so have been replaced by the original page. 20 songs were chosen for singing at the workshop.
celebrate the Bush Music Club’s 65 Anniversary, I chose 65 songs
published in, or referred to in BMC publications -
(Newsletter 1955 to 1978), Singabout (1956 to 1963) & Mulga Wire
(1977 to date) for
a workshop at Bush Traditions Gathering at Yass, October 2019. The
songs are those that appealed to me, in some years I had to choose
from many wonderful songs, other years an occasional song was
mentioned in a review or an interview!
3. Table of Contents
4. Bound for Darling Harbour, by Merv. Lilley, 1954 - Bushwhacker Broadside, later published in Singabout 1(1), Summer 1956, p.15
5. Stringybark Creek, 1955 Bushwhacker Broadside
6. Cane killed Abel by Merv. Lilley, music Chris Kempster
7. The Little Fish, collected from Dick Fitzgerald & Jack Wright
8-9. Shearing in a Bar by Duke Tritton
10. The Wild Colonial Boy sent to the Editor by Mr Theo Archdeacon
11. When Jones Ale Was New as sung by Simon McDonald Creswick, Vic.
12-13. The Albury Ram
14. The Little Sparrow, music John Meredith, words Launcelot Harrison
15. Goorianawa by Duke Tritton
16-17. The Sandy Hollow Line by Duke Tritton
18. The Peach Picker's Song by John & Norm Dengate. Norm complained about his son only singing shearing songs, so John suggested he write something, & the chorus was the result.
19. Do you think that I do not know by Henry Lawson, tune Chris Kempster
20. Dinky Di
21-22. Wee Pot Stove by Harry Robertson
23. Across the Western Suburbs by Denis Kevans & Seamus Gill
24. Ballad of Norman Brown by Dorothy Hewett
25. Broken Down Squatter by Charles Flower
26. The Woodturners Lovesong by Phyl Lobl
27-28. The Cockie's Lament (aka Mortein Spray or That Cockroach Song) by Concert Party member Doug Richardson
29. The Sailor Home from the Sea by Dorothy Hewett
30. Shoalhaven by former Concert Party member Peter Cahill
31. Hughie, The Rouseabout's Prayer by Duke Tritton
30. The Good Old Concertina, by Henry Lawson, tune Bob Bolton
31. 65 songs, page 1
32. 65 songs, page 2.
33. Citations for the songs - 1954 to 1975
34. Citations for the songs - 1976 to 1991
35. Citations for the songs - 1992 to 2007
36. Citations for the songs - 2008 to 2019
Thanks to authors or their literary executors for allowing
their songs to be reproduced - Dr Diane Bull (Duke Tritton), Tom Flood
(Dorothy Hewett, Merv Lilley), Dale Dengate (John Dengate), Phyl
Lobl, Lyn & Evan Mathieson (Harry Robertson), Doug Richardson,
The Bush Music Club was founded in 1954 to collect, publish and popularise Australia’s traditional songs, dances, music, yarns, recitations and folklore and to encourage the composition of a new kind of song - one that was traditional in style but contemporary in theme.
Articles © Bush Music Club Inc unless stated otherwise, photographs © individual photographer.
CLICK ON IMAGES FOR LARGER SIZE .
Thursday, 28 November 2019
65 Songs for 65 years - A History in Songs. Songs of the Bush Music Club, Celebrating the 65th Anniversary of the Bush Music Club
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment