Click images for larger size.
You all brought a delightfully warm feeling to the commemorative concert for John on Sunday afternoon.
Thanks to Leyne for her technical skills and to Gene and also to Max for his unique way of compering a concert of very diverse acts. Without the Elbournes we wouldn't have been able to gather and it has come to be a very special day for the Dengates.
I have been delighted to get messages from the extended family who have sent messages that they really enjoyed the afternoon. They have come from all over Australia, New Zealand, Wales and France.
I have found it is more like one of the parties we used to hold in our house in Glebe, where friends gathered, sang, recited, swapped stories and yarned for hours and John could share his latest song or poetry.
There is also a YouTube playlist of the 2022, 2021 and 2020 events here.
The list of pre-booked performers is here.
See below links to some of the songs and poems shared during the ZOOM.
Dengate (on drums and vocals) with The Shouties playing ‘Everlovin Man’
by The Loved Ones. Golden Barley Hotel, July 2022 – video: https://youtu.be/ySQPIpx7EmA
- Daniel Kelly’s song was ‘City to Country Blues’, from a recently published album of songs about Yass
- Colleen Z Burke’s poem for John and family ‘An Enticing Sound’, click here to read.
- Chris Clarke’s Putin Rap ‘Rap-acious, This Putin rap is the companion piece
to Trump rap ‘Take the Rap’ Chris performed at the last John Dengate
ZOOM Get Together (2021) click here to read.
- John Tubridy sent through this video of his song ‘Trickle Down’ but it was not able to be played during the ZOOM, you can watch it here.
you shared a poem or song during the ZOOM and would like to share the
lyrics, words, audio or video – please email them to Leyne
DEDICATION OF ‘DENGATE CRESCENT’
During the ZOOM Dale spoke about the dedication of John Dengate Crescent in Moncrieff, ACT (Easter 2016).
Sandra Nixon has a great blog with photos from the event – link here and Jill Watson did a short video of the dedication – watch it here.
‘JOHN AND I’ story from Marie and Peter Grislis
and Peter have been tuning into the ZOOM events via phone, and Marie
sent this lovely story which I have added to the ‘John and I’ stories
section – you can read it here.
If you have a story you would like to send, please do so via firstname.lastname@example.org
SANDRA’S ‘AUSTRALIAN MADE’ ARTWORK FROM JOHN’S TIES
Sandra Nixon sent me this story and photos of her artwork made for Dale from John’s ties.
Planning is already underway for next year’s TENTH John Dengate Memorial Get Together which we plan to take place both in person and streamed on ZOOM.
Mark in your diaries – Sunday 6th August 2023.
3. Dale & her Technical Support, Luce
4. Virago, Di Clifford & Kath Morgan
5. Margaret Bradford
6. Margaret Walters & Chris Maltby
7. Mary-jane Field
8. Colleen Burke & ComadeSirBigRuss
9. Seamus Gill & Kate Scott
10. MC Max Elbourne and Gene & Tony Smith
11. Chris Clarke in the wilds of suburban Canberra, rapping about our previous prime minister
12. Chloe & Jason Roweth
13. Evan Mathieson
14. Peter Hicks
15. Bruce & Jill Watson
16. While Bruce was singing, Jill had been busy writing a poem
17. Mr Dengate had taught young Graham Wood
18. letter to Graham
19. Gerry Myerson singing Tom Paxton's I Believe, I Do, lyrics
20. Daniel Kelly
21. Big Russ enjoying listening to the Roweth Trio
22. Joanna Roweth
24. Roweths & Dengates
25. The Shouties playing Everloving Man by The Loved Ones, Lachie on drums.
26. Leyne, Dale & Max
28. Sean Dengate
30. Chloe & Jason + Sean