Photos © Sandra Nixon
Dave Johnson leading the session
Beth Cambridge standing, unknown, Bob Bolton, John Poleson, Chris Poleson, Dave Johnson
Click images for larger size.
One of the treasures of the Archives is a 4" foolscap lever arch file containing leaflets from 1979 to 1991, however 1991 only contains 2 ball leaflets.
Each year has 4 sets of leaflets - Balls, Calendars, Festivals and Misc.
Ball & Festival leaflets have been blogged under appropriate years.
Not all leaflets were saved every year, but they give us a broad overview of Club activities.
From the Archives - Miscellaneous documents - Part 2, 1981 - 1983
From the Archives - Miscellaneous documents - Part 3, 1984 to 1985
From the Archives - Miscellaneous documents - Part 4, 1986 to 1988
From the Archives - Miscellaneous documents - Part 5, 1989 to 1990
1. Bush Music Club Theme Night 7th March 1978, "The Romantics" - page 1 (double sided leaflet)
4.Beecroft Bush Dance, 13th October, 3rd November, 1st December 1979 (double sided leaflet)
6. Caringbah Bush Dance, August 18th, September 15th, October 20th, November 17th, December 15th 1979 (double sided leaflet)
7. Bush Music Club 1954 to 1979 Silver Jubilee. What is Bush Dancing? (double sided leaflet)
8. Caringbah Bush Dance, September 15th, October 20th, November 17th, December 15th 1979 (double sided leaflet)
9. Bush Music Club 1954 to 1979 Silver Jubilee. Theme nights, Workshops, Dance workshops. Performers available. (double sided leaflet)
10. ... To celebrate the Silver Jubilee ... Bush dances, "Back to the Bush" weekend camping trips and picnics, Australian Folk History Series lecture/discussion ...Theme nights, Singabouts, Workshops, Annual Subscription Ball, Silver Jubilee Festival October long weekend. (double sided leaflet)
11. Holroyd Family Bush Dance, Friday 8th May, 1980, Selectors Bush Band. Back to the Bush Weekend, 25-26 April, Dhurag National Park
12. Beecroft Bush Dance - 5 July, 2 August, 6 September, 4 October, 1 November, 6 December 198013. Bush Music Club, 1980 (4 page leaflet)
14. Bush Music Club,1980. The Bush Music Club is a group of people who informally perform and enjoy our Australian heritage of songs, dances, yarns and poetry. (4 page leaflet)
15. Bush Music Club,1980 - Bush Ball, Singabouts, Theme Nights, Dance Practice Group, workshops (4 page leaflet)
16. Bush Music Club,1980 - Maps (4 page leaflet)
17. Membership form, 1980 (double sided leaflet)
18. Membership form, 1980 (double sided leaflet)
19. Old Bush School (double sided leaflet)
20. Bush Music Theme Nights, 1980. A spirited evening of song, poetry, music and dancing ... (double sided leaflet)
21. Bush Music Club, 1980 (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
22. Bush Music Club, 1980. Background (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
23. Bush Music Club, 1980 Club Activities - Bush dances, Workshops, Dance Workshops, Kids Workshops (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
24.Bush Music Club, 1980 Booking Agency, Annual Subscription Ball, Folkus, Bush Music Festival, Other activities (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
25. Bush Music Club, 1980 Membership (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
26. Bush Music Club, 1980. Maps (double sided leaflet, 6 pages)
In our Archives we have two minutes books, the first starts with the minutes of the initial meeting held on the 14th October 1954 & ends with minutes of the meeting held 11th March 1955.
The second (the red book) is missing pages from the front, with the first dated page from the minutes of the 26th April 1957 General meeting, & the final minutes in the book are from the 1978 Annual General Meeting.
Minutes of the Bush Music Club, 14th October 1954 to 11th March, 1955 The minutes of the first 5 months of the Club are in a cheap school exercise book, written in pencil and pen and ink (ballpoint pens were new & expensive!) Alan Scott was elected as Secretary/Treasurer so probably wrote them up. They finish with the minutes for 11th March, then the date of the next meeting, & the following pages have been torn out.
Red covered Minutes books have been used for a long time to keep Minutes safe & accessible, so our Red book probably continued on from the first Minutes book (a logical reason for not filling up the exercise book), but as the earliest pages are missing we'll never know. As some of the loose pages were out of order, I numbered every page.
The Red book includes General meetings from April 1957 to August 1970, and Annual General meetings from 1958 to 1978. Annual General Meetings were normally held in February or March.
The incomplete Minutes of the Conference held on the 9th of February (1957), at the Esperanto Hall, Milson's Pt., Sydney were included in front of the Red Minutes book, although they had never been pasted in. Perhaps the last page had been pasted in & the weight of these minutes tore them from the page????? (another supposition, not a fact.)
Neither the missing page/s from the Conference Minutes, nor the missing pages from the Red Minutes book have been found in Archives, so we have no record of meetings between 11th March 1955 and the incomplete minutes of the General Meeting on 26th April 1957.
Note - Minutes of meetings between 11 March 1955 & June 1957 might not have been taken - see From the Archives - Minutes of General Meeting from 26th June 1957 to august 1970 - Part 1, 1957-1959 Minutes of the General Meeting of The Bush Music Club Friday 26th June, 1957.p. 003. General Business Mr Harry Kay moved that minutes be taken at General Meetings. Seconded Mr Alex Hood, Carried. (more research is needed - unfortunately Alex Hood does not remember this motion - phone call Jan 2021)
page 005 Minutes of the General Meeting of The Bush Music Club Friday 3rd July (1957) - 1. Correspondence - 2. Business arising. 3. Report from Executive following discussion on terms of office of Trustees. 4. Ruling of President re position of Ramble-eers in the Concert Party. Ruling read to meeting. Moved by Graham Ascott, seconded by Chris Kempster that the ruling be accepted by the meeting. 5. Suggestions from Executive a way of raising funds for Pete Seeger 6. Motion to be passed re addition to constitution
page 013 - Minutes of General Meeting of Bush Music Club, Friday 25th October, '57 Meeting was opened by Mr Duke Tritton, Vice President. Correspondence. Singabout night to be held on Saturday November 30th ... conference prior to Annual General Meeting ... Saturday 1st February ... AGM Friday February 7th... next picnic at Neilson Park ... Lorna Lovell Hon. Secretary
page 014 - poster for May Singabout night, 17/5/58
page 015 - Minutes of General Meeting of Bush Music Club, 29th November, 1957 Meeting opened by President Brian Loughlin. Correspondence. ... election of 3 delegates to Australian Book Fair ... John Meredith and Duke Tritton ... Gil Small be approached ... running of an organised picnic be deferred until next year ... Conference ... date be altered to 8th February ... AGM be held on 14th February ... carried.
page 023 - Minutes of General Meeting of Bush Music Club, 23rd October 1959 - Chairman Stan Wakefield. Executive present - John Meredith, Jamie Carlin, Margot Davies, Frank Maher, Stan Wakefield. Correspondence - 1. ... mainly requests from Queensland for Singabouts and other song books ... direct result of advertising ... in the "Northern Queensland Monthly Magazine" which was done at the request of Stan Wakefield who is a regular subscriber ... 2. The Amalgamated Engineers Union & The Federated Engine Drivers and Fireman's Association ... allowing them to send members to our Executive meeting 3. Letter from West Country Association ... invitations to their Xmas Social ... Business arising ... stock up on song books ... A.E.U. & F.E.D.F.A. invited to general meeting. General Business - Folklore conference very successful ... admission 5/- ... profit approximately £37 ...very successful advertising campaign ... A long playing record "Songs from the Shearing Sheds" featuring the Concert Party was released yesterday. This was a result of "Wool Week" exhibition at David Jones at which the Concert Party performed for a whole week. John Meredith called for a design for a club badge ... judging next meeting ... Frank Maher Asst Secretary
Original club badge used in lagerphone John Meredith made for Molly Collins of Araluen Pub, c1964-5