The Bush Music Club was involved with the Scouting movement from the 60s. Bob's parents Ken & Grace Bolton had been scouting leaders since at least 1948. Ken designed a lagerphone striker & introduced lagerphones to Scouts, aka lollywaterphones (conversation with Bob)
Ken & Bob's older brother Eric brought Bob to the Club when he was around 16 years old, c.1960/61. (email from Chris Woodland)
Extract from the talk Frank Maher gave at 2012 National Folk Festival on our First Ten Years - With the Concert Party our biggest audience ever was a performance at Bringelly for a World Jamboree of Scouts. There were 5000 Scouts in the audience.
NSW scout numbers peaked in 1971, and the 9th Australian Jamboree at Leppington was attended by 16,000 scouts.
1. 71010224 Frank Maher, John Dengate, Jamie Carlin, Noel Ricketts, Eric Bolton, Wilma Bolton
2. 71010226 John Dengate, Jamie Carlin, Noel Ricketts, Wilma Bolton, Eric Bolton
3. 71010232 John Dengate, Jamie Carlin, Frank Maher, Noel Ricketts, Wilma Bolton, Eric Bolton
4. 71010234 John Dengate, Jamie Carlin, Noel Ricketts, Eric Bolton
5. this A3 photograph was removed from the walls of the Hut a few years ago
Songbooks in BMC library